Sugar is one of those staples we always have on hand, no matter it will be for adding a tablespoon to the tea or using it for making a cake. But sugar can make a lot more than simply make your life sweeter (as if this is not enough!) and considering the fact that you already have it in your kitchen, you can conveniently clean almost the whole house by simply using sugar.
Sugar has many purposes and uses outside the kitchen, so here are a few ideas that come to our mind:
- Soothing baby – It is proven that babies who were given a 1 to 4 sugar/water solution before immunisation handle the pain from the shots better.
- For wounds – It is also proven that sprinkling sugar of bedsores or ulcers before cleaning and dressing can help in killing the bacteria that prevents healing and makes the whole process go slower. Sugar is drawing the water from the wound and since bacteria need water and moisture to survive, you are practically killing it with sugar.
- Cool a burning tongue – It has happened to all of us to take a sip from a very hot coffee when we are in a rush. The next time you burn your tongue, there is a quick remedy – sugar! Suck on a pinch of a sugar cube and you are good!
- Bug bites – Sugar is also a quick remedy for bug bites and bee stings. To soothe the pain, mix equal parts of sugar and water and apply to the affected area. Leave it there for around 20 minutes and you will feel better soon!
- Cure hiccups – Eating a spoonful of sugar will help for curing hiccups too.
- Body scrub – Sugar is also an amazing natural scrub for your body. It is not too aggressive as a scrub so it won’t irritate your skin, however, it is effective enough to take off all the dead skin on the surface.
- Lip scrub – Mix a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of honey and use the mixture as a lip scrub, it does wonder!
- Make your lipstick long-lasting – After you have applied your lipstick, sprinkle a bit of sugar on your lips and wait for a few moments for sugar to draw all the excess moisture and make your lipstick long-lasting.
- Hand de-gunker – You can add sugar to your liquid soap and be sure that you will never have dirty hands ever because sugar works as a scrub and takes off all the dirt easily.
- Garden pests – In order to combat garden pests naturally, you have to sprinkle plants and the soil around them with sugar.
- Keep cut flowers fresh for longer by adding 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vinegar per quart of warm water. Sugar will feed the stems and vinegar will prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Trap wasps – A simple syrup of two parts of sugar and one part water that is boiled make a great mixture that attracts wasps. Keep it outside to prevent them from entering your house.
- Fly strips – Forget about the flies around your house in the summer, make your natural fly strips by mixing equal parts of sugar, honey and baking powder.
- Clean your coffee and spice grinder – Clean and eliminate the odours in your grinder by pouring a ¼ cup of sugar and let it run for a few minutes.
- Keep baked goods fresh by adding a few sugar cubes into an airtight container that holds your baking goods to keep your bread, cookies and cakes fresh for longer.
- Eliminate cooking odours – Burn some sugar in a pan to the point of dark caramel colour for this natural sweet fragrance to make your whole house smell amazing. Even better – use the caramel for making some amazing salted-caramel brownie.
We reveal the world best kept cleaning secret and share it with you so make sure to check out today’s article!
Your home is your personal domain, where only your demands count. Here is how to freshen it up quickly, when you demand cleanliness and order.
It is not that hard to adopt an early bird routine. Make sure to follow our hints on how a tidy house and routine can save the day!
Summer is more like a state of mind that just a season. Set your home in the right mood for the upcoming season.